The imperfect subjunctive (-ra) tense of regular verbs is formed by doing these three steps:
- Step 1: Conjugate the verb in the preterite ELLOS form. Example: tener->tuvieron
- Step 2: Drop the final "ron" to create the stem: Example: tener->tuvie-
- Step 3: Add the ending to the stem of the verb:
Important: In the nosotros form, you add an accent on the syllable prior to the ending. Examples:
- nosotros tuviéramos
- nosotros nos acostáramos
The imperfect subjunctive is used like the present subjunctive, but when the "trigger" verb in the main clause or the action is in the past:
- I hoped that she was happy. = Yo esperaba que ella estuviera alegre.
- They wanted me to bring a book. = Ellos querían que yo trajera un libro.
- My mother asked me to enter. = Mi madre me pidió que yo entrara.